Sometimes when having a conversation, we find ourselves in a situation where we don’t know what to say or how to respond. Accidental Counselling will provide you with practical skills; whether you are talking to someone going through a difficult time, having relationship issues, not coping with life, or feeling helpless. This course will help you respond in a helpful and appropriate way.
This is a 6.5-hour course, with engaging videos, audios, theories, and a 24-page workbook filled with practical information and self-paced exercises .
You will learn how to help someone identify their strengths, that assist them to manage their problems better, and easier. You will learn how to reframe their thinking to give them a different perspective on something that previously painted a negative picture.
What You Will Learn
- How to use basic counselling skills to have a difficult conversation
- Why our response to others is sometimes fueled with emotion
- How to manage our our reactions and emotions
- How to help a grieving friend
- Barriers to communication and how to avoid them
- About Stress and Anxiety
- Suicide Awareness
- How to take-care of yourself
What you need to know:
- The course consists of 7 lessons, and 42 topics.
- The duration is approximately 6.5 hours (or less).
- This is not a webinar or zoom presentation, it is a self-paced online course.
- We suggest using Google, Microsoft Edge or Firefox on a laptop.
- Other browsers may work but are not as reliable.
- You have 30 days access to complete the course.
- A certificate is issued upon completion.
- Before commencing the course please download the Accidental Counsellor workbook which is referenced throughout the course.
- What is counselling
- What a counsellor isn’t
- Our response to others
- Why we feel the way we do
- Strong Emotions
- Managing strong emotions
- Don’t take things personally
- If you can name it you can tame it
- Different communication styles
- Assertive communication style
- Basic listening skills
- How do you help a grieving friend
- How to be congruent and genuine
- Empathy v’s sympathy
- Understanding the other person
- Understanding crisis
- The message channel
- Barriers to communication
- Communication rules
- Deciding to listen
- Actively listening
- The importance of silence
- What is reflective listening
- Reflecting feelings
- Reflecting content
- Responding to anger
- Managing conflict
- Working with domestic violence
- Summarising skills
- Calming a telephone caller or somebody on the internet
- What is stress
- What is anxiety
- What is well-being
- Know the five signs
- Suicide awareness
- Healthy Boundaries